Spartan Races to come

Spartan Races to come
Upcoming races

Monday, July 2, 2012

Time

I dont plan on posting daily. I just do not believe I have the time or enough witticisms to keep anyone interested if I did that. The plan is to post periodically over the next year, generally when I hit a milestone, do something interesting or have a comment I want to make.


A quick note. In a previous life I worked at seasonal events dealing with volunteers, marketing & promotion.  It mean working pretty much everyday for 2-3 months. Sure there were 'days off' like the time I had to be up & on site for a TV appearance at 4am (until 9am), on the first day off in weeks.  In consideration of this my boss said he handled some of the leg work. But mistakes were made & I had a black eye for a passport photo later that day due to an irate person who was unaware of the noise that would be produced.


When I quit that job I though about all the free time I would have to do other things.  But I had not realized that working on an event had advantages.  Like with all the walking I did daily I did not gain weight from all the fast food I ate (only thing I usually had time for). So I went to an office job, supposed to be 8-5 M-F. And it was, at first. As time passed I gained more responsibility and the small company I worked for became smaller & I did more.  Fast forward to today. The office that had 5 people in it has 2.  The 11 people working from home is now 6.  My day starts at 5am, generally I am done by 5pm depending on daylight savings time & deadlines.  But I am also customer support, web development & more, so not necessarily true.


I have had desires to work out more in the past but 'life' gets in the way. More often than not that life is one spent sitting at a desk doing items for work.I envy people like Chris Davis, who have coworkers & a boss that will allow him the time off to accomplish his goals. 


I know in time I will get better, stronger, faster & can do more with the time I have. But I read the Spartan Race Workouts of the Day and wonder how people have time for it all.  I recall seeing a video once w/ the Spartan Race founders Joe & Andy (and you can correct me on this) where they felt people were getting soft and that was part of the reason for the races. I dont disagree.  But I also can see where that being soft has come from multiple reasons, when one works 2 jobs to make ends meet, or has to work & go to school, and cant afford to buy healthy foods it takes its toll on a person.  When the get home exhausted going for a run or doing squats or burpees is not usually high on a priority list especially when one has kids to care for, meals to prep, bills to pay, etc.


Yes you have to make the decision & set goals & work towards them. This is my plan. But it would also be nice to have more time to put towards those goals.  



No comments:

Post a Comment