Spartan Races to come

Spartan Races to come
Upcoming races

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Wall & Zombies

Workout Wall
I have hit another snag in getting 'race ready'  these last couple weeks.  The illness returned making it very difficult to work out or be active in any way with out being made physically ill.  Add to that an increased work load & class load with the passing of my boss at work (increasing work load even more). All this combined to bring me down to only 3 total work out days the last 2 weeks.  I have a lack of energy/desire to move forward.  But I also know that time will strill keep passing & I need to get in gear.

Now that all of that seems to be behind me (other than school which will continue through May) I am hoping come Tuesday I will be able to get running again.  I will say in an effort to be better trained and to make up for the upper body deficit experienced at the Toro Loco I have added to my regimen.  Now instead of just jogging on the treadmill for a distance, I jog 1/2 mile, then its burpee time (9 in 90 seconds) followed by a short walk before jogging the rest of the next 1/2 mile.   Once the running portion of the workout is completed, the number of burpees done = number of situps to complete.  I am hoping in time he burpees will increase during my breaks, in a perfect world to 30 & get right back to the jog. meanwhile overall distance will increase weekly as well.

One source of inspiration is a blog I just came across this week "Live the Tough Life" This is a blog by an Arizona gentleman named  Christopher Rutz who is part of a racing team and the current points leader w/ 2012 Spartan Race Points series, he has also started guest posting on their blog as well.  His time & dedication to "a high level of fitness" (something he has been working on for over 20 years) is an inspiration. Of course it also serves as a reminder that what I am trying to do will take much more time than the one year this had planned for.  Especially when I have 'life' constantly trying to get in the way of these goals.


ZombieBuffet
This past weekend I volunteered at a racing event called he ZombieBuffet 5k.  I had been under the impression it was a zombie obstacle race, in the vein of Run for your lives, but it turned out to be a 5k + zombies.

In any case it was interesting to see a race from the other side for once. From working at registration, to finish line to water stations. It was a bit of an eye opener in both the what to do/not to do on the working side of it.  But also to see a race & its participants in more ways than just as they passed by while on the course.  

Sure there were issues but overall things ran fairly smoothly for a 1st time in AZ race.

Still it was nice to get outdoors & meet some new people in a race related way with out having to hurt myself too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment